William Joseph Coppinger - Union Lodge Carrigtwohill & Midleton Distiller
William Joseph Coppinger & Margaret O'Brien
Union Lodge Carrigtwohill
On the 30th April, William Joseph Coppinger of ‘Union Lodge’ Carrigtwohill married Margaret O’Brien at
Kilcor as reported by Cork Constitution, 8th May 1832, presumably the home parish of the bride’s family.
Sir John Bernard Burke’s “A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland”,
of 1871, has his name inverted as, John William Coppinger of Gronacloyne, and does not mention his children. For
the subsequent publication of 1875 it was corrected, but only naming his son Lieutenant-Colonel John Joseph Coppinger.
It was at 'Union Lodge' were the couple's first child, a son was born the following year, as announced
by the Southern Reporter, 21st May 1833. By August that year ‘Union Lodge’ and land were sold.
It is currently unknown where ‘Union Lodge’ with its 30 acres of land might once have been at Carrigtwohill, as today
there is no such property name. Further research is required to identify precise location.
Then, in 1839 the property was owned by Rev. William Gilford where his first child was born. The Southern Reporter,
28th April 1836, names him as Rector of Mogeesha, Ballyvodock East.
Glenmore Cottage, Cove
The Cork Constitution, 14th October 1834, confirms the birth of the
couple’s second son born, 11th October. Then, the Limerick Chronicle, 29th June 1836, announces
the birth of a daughter. Cork Constitution, 18th April 1839, tells of a son. The Tipperary Vindicator,
3rd July 1844 announces birth of another daughter. The Weekly Freeman's Journal, 1st March 1851, another son. All
at Glenmore Cottage, Cove.
The next exercise to undertake was a physical search of the Carrigtwohill and Cove parish registers; many of which are
in a poor state of repair. With the exception of Stephen who was baptised at Carrigtwohill, all their children were found
at Cove. [Bracketed] of following tabulation means entry unable to be clearly read.
||20 May 1833
||Thos O’Brien & Abina Coppinger
||13 Oct 1834
||John O’Connor & Abina Coppinger
||30 June 1836
||Wm Coppinger & [Wm] P Coppinger
||22 April 1839
||Byran Terry My (Mary) [….]
||30 July 1844
||Stephen Ashlin & Cath O’Brien
||2 March 1851
||Henry O’Brien & Eliza [Moystern]
Subscribing to his publication, ‘Topographical Directory of Ireland', 1837, Samuel Lewis has William Joseph
Coppinger’s address as 'Glenmore Cottage', Cove. Then then the Guys’ Postal Directory of 1844/45 also has him
at this address. Under Midleton section within the same directory is listed John & Joseph Coppinger’s Brewery.
After this date Coppinger's Brewery is no longer listed anywhere.
Family deaths at the Midleton Brewery House
It was at the Coppinger's Midleton Brewery where his second daughter died as announced, Southern Reporter, 8th June 1854. The
following year William Joseph dies, 5th April. His death notice being published, Freeman Journal, 11th April 1855.
The last occupant of ‘Brewery House’, Main Street, Midleton was William Joseph’s widow, Margaret O’Brien. Upon her
death she bequeathed the 'Brewery Concerns' and property in Midleton with the 'Stores & Yard in Gallow Hill, Bandon', and £500,
to her son and sole executor, Henry Coppinger of Tivoli Gardens, an Auditor and bachelor, who died at the Pacific Hotel,
Youghal, 14th August 1909, aged 60. That same year, Margaret’s son, by now Brigadier-General, John Joseph had
died in America.
One of the witnesses was John Coppinger Ashlin, son of John Musson
Ashlin & Dorinda Coppinger.
To her daughters; Allice, Mary, and Margaret she left £400 each.
Henry's spinster sister, Alice, also died at Tivoli Gardens, 15th July 1902, aged 64.
Both were buried at St Joseph's Cemetery,
as was Thomas Stephen Coppinger, whose death also took place at Tivoli Gardens, 1886. Alice's bequeathed her estate
valued £1.229 7s 6d by her Will proved, 11th September 1902, to her sister Margaret.
Following are two relevant extracts of Burke's publication;